Thursday, January 29, 2009

Quick Update

Well, things are going pretty good around here. Its been a hectic week, but that's ok. Sam's best friend Megan stayed with us last weekend and they were really well behaved! They played almost the whole time. They watched very little tv, and we made play-doh. I had found a play-doh recipe online that only used flour, water, and salt. I didn't have any cream of tarter so I couldn't use my mom's recipe for the stove top version. Well, I will NEVER use that recipe again! It was sticky, and then if I tried to add a little extra flour it got too dry. I tried mixing in a little oil, and that helped a little. The kids had fun with it, but they couldn't use the cut-outs on it. So, when I go to Walmart, I will be BUYING Play-Doh! I don't even think I want to try to make anymore. I will spend the $2!

Well, last Thursday Sam was supposed to meet with his new Big Brother, Corey. The we were supposed to be at our meeting spot at 6, but I had to run some errands first. So, at about 3:30 we were on our way up town, and 5 minutes into our trip I hear Sam talking to me in a really muffled voice. I turned to look what he needed, and he had blood all over!! His nose was bleeding bad and it was on his face, hands, coat, pants, car seat, and the floor! He has had problems with his sinuses, but never like this! I had him pinch his nose and relax while I drove to Urgent Care (about 10 minutes away). I was worried that they would think I was crazy to bring him in, but they were glad that I had brought him in. There are some issues that can have the same symptoms and appearances as a nosebleed, and I was thankful anything serious was ruled out. Thank God! They didn't have to cauterize it, but after pinching his nose, and sitting at Urgent Care for an hour and a half, he was not up to going to a sports complex. He had a bad headache, and was tired. So, long story summed up: we are meeting with Corey tonight instead. He sounds like a really good guy and for those who are like me and really concerned about safety, these are the facts:
  • His background check was completed in November
  • He is from a well known family
  • His reason for becoming a Big Brother is based on the fact that he has recently beat a bad cancer and wants to give back.
  • He goes to a church that I have been associated with for about 10 years.
  • I have talked to his pastor (whom I also have known since I was a teen) who vouched for him on both safety and spirituality.
  • This same pastor is his neighbor.
  • He has been married for almost 10 years and has 2 children
  • Is involved in charity work in the community and I believe this is the first to involve children directly.
  • Has a great relationship with his family.

I am the type of person who figures all strangers are guilty of something and they must earn my trust and respect. Sam is a very aware child and knows what he should do in the event of some kind of mistreatment. With all we have been through, he and I have a very open relationship. He feels free to tell me anything that bothers him. He knows what people are and aren't allowed to do. He also knows what he should do if anyone tried to make him do something he doesn't want to. We have a rule around our house: If anyone tries anything in private, BITE! It will be very difficult for a grown up to deny an accusation with a bite mark exactly were there shouldn't be!! But, I will still covet your prayers for his continued safety! Thank you again for all of you who do add us to your prayers! We appreciate it very much!!

Well, its pushing 2:30 and I need to get around to go up town. I hope and pray that all you who read this and post your comments are having a safe and blessed week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment